Monday, July 16, 2007

I don't know why you say goodbye; I say hello

Big news on the world travel tip- Returned from one month in Guatemala (entonces, puedes hablarme en espanol) and one week at the US Social Forum in Atlanta, Georgia. I've been back in the 6th ward for a couple of weeks now, and still I'm talking up and reflecting on my experiences. Along the way I came up on some technology that will allow me to post here with much greater frequency. Yes it's the truth; behold! Wireless internet.

So I'm writing to say hello if you're out there. Now that you know more or less where I've been, we can move on to talk about where we are going.

What I'm feeling lately (we'll do 5)

1. 90.3 WRIU on Sundays I think 2:30-5pm you have your Cape Verdean Afro BEAT! DJ Loverman spinning the hottest Funana' and honestly I don't have the other genres down yet, except that I'm feeling it! I've been tuning it to this spot for a while and my girl knows that she can get me to drive anywhere on Sundays provided we are within range of the WRIU transmitter. Usually I don't/don't like to drive- actually, a lot of folks seem to think I don't
have a car. You can catch me on the bus, or walking ridiculous lonely distances- just take that for what it is.

2. Strong Arm Steady got a new record coming out. You can find the sampler for free on their myspace. Unapologetic and necessary, but I'll be looking for them to take the lyrics up another notch on the full album. I'm still crushing the Blacksmith record, and as always, the Jeanius. The Blacksmith combo is number two to arroz con gandules in my household.

3. Mary's, formerly Mi Casa #2 Restaurant, in the 6th ward. Especially while it is too damn hot to cook! I've been taken care of consistently well, and for three bills! I've heard of other white boys learning spanish to get at mujeres, but en serio, primeramente, aprendelo para lograr la comida!

4. Ahmad Jamal. I got the Swahililand break, made famous in the Dilla production of "Stakes Is High" by De La Soul, entirely stuck in my head. My boy J's got the record, and put it on a tape he gave me at one time- of course nowhere to be found now. Ahmad's got this touch where he doesn't overplay like a lot of jazz cats, especially cool since he did a lot of trio work. His playing lets the rhythm section come through, and they don't typically abuse the invitation.

5. In Guatemala you had some street marimba players for sure, but more it was just bad reggaeton and ranchera. Also the 60's/70's AM Gold style was popularized there and thus you have radio stations catering to the generation of spanish-language Young Rascals and that kind of thing. I imagine it is similar event in Guatemalan history as how nasty 50's food tastes and processed ingredients have creeped their way into Cuban cuisine. Ahh, globalization and U.S. influence in Latino America...

Ranchera is just horrible to me, but strangely comforting with the tubas and ritmos borrachos banging out the speakers that are strapped to luggage racks in the back of speeding camionetas, usually on dangerous-ass mountain passes and in like circumstances in Guats. Best part of ranchera is the stupid,, ridiculous drum fills. It sounds like when somebody's middle-age drunk uncle gets on the kit at a block party and tries to rock like he claims he did in high school. Trying too hard! Drinking too hard! But so too is his audience, therefore unable or unwilling to pick up on it.

More later, now I am going on some important business to most likely officially quit my job.

No comments: